Saturday, January 14, 2023

Slow stitching and Creative Mending

 I purchased another class from Craft school of oz!   I was inspired after doing a couple of free classes learning Shashiko stitching and decided to venture more into this meditative method of stitching.   I have been re-purposing unsold garments to sell in the op shop instead of sending them to landfill.  This made a white ripped pair of shorts into a more interesting piece before I turned it into a bag.  




For Christmas I enjoyed making some little needle cases, it really is quite meditative to sew random little stitches.



I tend to look at descriptions of crafts, and then run with them and make them my own.  I love the idea of sashiko stitching, but some of it seems quite rigid.   I have been playing around with a few samples, and then thought that would be an ideal way to personalize some of the phone bags I have been thinking of making.  I didnt have a washable marker, so marked out a sort of grid with my tailors chalk.  Luckily this fabric had lines as well.  

A friend had given me some lovely sari silk, so these are going to look very pretty with that as a liner.  I am now toying with the idea of stitching a yolk to make a silk dress or top.  I am really enjoying making lots of different projects and learning different techniques.
Do you stick with the same craft, or tend to veer off in other directions as I do?


No comments: